Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Twelve Days of Christmas - Day 4

Happy last work Monday of the year! I've been incredibly busy at work trying to get ahead so that I'm not too far behind when we get back to work in January. I'm certain that it's a losing battle, but I'm ok with that. Today, even though it's Monday, I'd like to talk to you about a very important issue:


Christmas Cookies


One year, RPG and I made 12 trajillion spritz cookies and gave them to my co-workers. I couldn't type right for a week.* Last year, I don't even remember making cookies. I'm sure I made something, but it wasn't a terribly festive year for us. This year, I'm going for the weird and wacky award. *Slight exaggeration. It was more like 54 dozen cookies and my hands hurt for at least a week but I could still type like a human.

I usually try to make something "traditional" like spritz cookies or fudge. I've decided to embrace my inner nut case and I'm going weird with my cookies this year. On the menu: White Chocolate Cranberry Macadamia Nut Cookies, Nanaimo Bars, and Chocolate Coconut Balls. Yes, I am aware that only one of the above listed treats is a cookie. Did I mention the emphasis on weird? I'll be preparing the Nanaimo Bars and Coconut Balls later this week to ensure freshness on Christmas Day in Montana. Tonight, I'm making the easy ones for our work cookie parties tomorrow. Here's the recipe and some photos, in case you want the most traditional part of my crazy. :)

White Chocolate Cranberry Macademia Nut Cookies (sort of adapted from this recipe
Ingredients
1 stick high quality unsalted butter, softened
.5 cups brown sugar
.5 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons baking soda 
1.25 cups chopped dried cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream butter and sugar 
Add vanilla and egg
Combine flour and baking soda
Add flour+soda to creamed butter in thirds
Use wooden spoon to mix in cranberries, chips, and nuts
Roll into 1 teaspoon balls
Bake for 8 minutes - should be golden on top and set on the edges
Cool on sheet for 2-4 minutes
Completely cool on rack      
 
I changed the amount of mix-ins, baking time, and cookie size. What can I say, I'm a rebel. I'm done with chit-chat. It's time to sneak off with some of these beauties.





No comments:

Post a Comment