Friday, July 12, 2013

2013: One Little Word

I'm catching up with my good intentions, from the beginning of the year with my One Little Word. Yeah, it's July, but I really did pick this word a long time ago. My word for 2013 is: Commit

Seems kind of silly that my word is commit but I haven't blogged since February. Right? Wrong! My intentions (the things I really want to commit to for 2013) are actually as follows:

  • Commit to losing weight (goal is 24 lbs down by the end of the year)
  • Commit to saving (goal is at least 1 month in saving)
  • Commit to quality marriage time (goal is 2 "electronics-free" days a month)
  • Commit to debt freedom (goal is 3 accounts closed by end of year)
  • REALLY commit to debt freedom (goal is accrue no new debt)
  • Commit to cleaning (goal is to clean every room at least once a month)
  • Commit to supporting my spouse (help Ryan achieve his goals too!)

Since we're already here, we might as well do a mid-year check in. Shall we?

  • Weight loss: Yeah, I'm not there. I lost a bit at the beginning of the year and then in my war with springtime, I gained it all back and then some. Those points aside, I actually think this one is doable still. We're moving this week and I'll be walking to work and taking the dog on more walks at lunch. With the grocery store LITERALLY right across the street, there's more motivation to eat well. I at least have good intentions still.
  • Commit to saving: We were actually dead on with this one until I wrote a gigantic check to the new apartment building. Actually, I had to write two of them. With the new jobs and lower commuting costs, I have no doubts that we'll make these goals again.
  • Commit to quality marriage time: Unfortunately, I think we only managed this a couple of times this year. It's time to get back on track with this one. Not having a God-awful commute will help too. (Only 2 more days! Woo!)
  • Commit to debt freedom: We worked out a new budget for the new salaries and this goal is totally doable still. We've been picking away at these debts all year, it's now (finally time) to turn up the heat!
  • REALLY commit to debt freedom: We managed not to accrue any debt through May. (GOLD STAR FOR US!) But with all the holds they put on your accounts for rental cars and hotels, I had to use a credit card. Still haven't decided if that counts as accruing new debt or if it just means that we used our credit card.
  • Commit to cleaning: With moving, all our rooms have been gone through. I've been almost on top of this one. It's kind of a cop out, but I'll take a win where I can get it today. 
  • Commit to supporting my spouse: This year, I bullied him into taking his dream job. Yeah, you read that right. That's love and devotion, baby! I get 10 gold stars for that and minus 15 for every dramatic tear fest he's had to listen to. I truly don't mind continually working on this one.

Let's hope the next 6 months have more success than failure and that I can really keep commit as a mantra for 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment